Since HIV first began 40 years ago, enormous strides in treatment, care and prevention have been made. However, in 2019 an estimated 1 in 8 people are living with HIV in the United States and do not realize it. Therefore, protecting your body from HIV is critical.
PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) is a HIV prevention pill that can help you to protect and feel in control of your body. You may know PrEP as the prevention pill, Truvada or Descovy. It can be taken by any sexually active person who is currently HIV-negative. When taken consistently and correctly, it is over 90 percent effective. In the near future, an injectable version of PrEP known as Apretude will be available also. It will be administered bimonthly.
Who Should Consider Using PrEP?
Using PrEP should be considered if you are sexually active and any of the following statements apply to you:
- You’re unsure and concerned about your HIV status.
- You don’t always practice safe sex by using a condom or asking your partner to use one.
- You already have been diagnosed with a STD and are unsure of your sex partner’s STD status.
- You are unsure of your sex partner’s HIV status.
- Your sex partner is HIV-positive, but may not be taking a HIV treatment.
- You or your sex partner inject drugs.
No Healthcare Coverage. No Problem.
At HEALing Community Center, we provide PrEP at no cost, regardless of your healthcare coverage status. Just complete the form on this page and start taking control of your sexual health future today. A member from our PrEP team will follow up with you.